Friday, August 23, 2013






God Knows Our Foolishness
Thursday, Aug. 15, 2013
O, God thou knowest my foolishness; and my sin is not hid from thee. Let not them that wait on thee, O Lord God of host, be ashamed for my sake: let not those that seek thee be confounded for my sake, O God of Israel. Psalm 69:5 & 6.
Thursday is my day to bake. I have baked bread and given the profits to missions since we moved from the mission field in Mexico. I go to bed the night before planning my baking day schedule. And, sorry to say, I often get up ready to get into the dough. I say a hasty prayer.  I read a verse or two in the Bible but I don’t take time to meditate on it.
A couple weeks ago, in prayer meeting, Marie Benson exhorted us to take time for meditation on God’s Word. That if we  gobbled it down it will not do us much good, just as gobbling down our food does not do our body as much good as when we relax and eat slowly. I promised myself that I’d do better. I called her the following day and thanked her. “It was just what I needed to hear.” I told her. Since that time, I have taken more time reflecting on God’s words.
As I was getting ready for bed, Wednesday night, I was planning Thursday’s schedule. I would need to finish baking early enough to tidy up the house, bath and be at the airport by 8:00 p.m. We were to pick-up Maria, our granddaughter at the OKC airport. Maria, along with others, was returning from a month long trip to Kenya, Africa. There they helped with a construction project for the Huruma Orphanage Centre.  (Her picture laying bricks is on my first post.)
I promised myself this Thursday would be different. I got up early so I’d have time to do things right, read my Bible and reflect on its meaning.  However, something distracted me and before I knew it, I was mixing whole wheat bread. By 10:00 o’clock, I have four loaves of banana nut bread baked and eight loaves of whole wheat bread ready for the oven. That was wonderful but soon the day turned chaotic. The cinnamon roll dough was too moist and hard to keep in round shapes, I forgot to put almonds on the Sabbath bread, and some of the cookies burned. I struggled through the rest of the day. By 1:30, I was exhausted, when usually I can keep working into late hours. However, God who is always merciful, sent volunteer help. The baking was finished and kitchen clean by 3:30 p.m.
After the helpers were gone, I picked up my Bible to read, and guess what, I fell asleep. When I awoke it was time to make supper. Since my husband, James is not well; I knew it was now my obligation to prepare a meal, so I did. When the meal was finished, it was time to get ready and go pick-up Maria at the airport.
I f I’d had a smart phone, I might have gobbled down a bit of God’s Word while riding to the airport, in that way eased my conscience a little. As it was, I had to admit that I had broken my promise to God..
After returning from the airport,  I opened my Bible to-- you guess it, Psalm 69:5 O God thou knowest my foolishness, and my sin is not hid from thee. My prayer that evening, was, “Lord forgive me for making the foolish mistake of putting my other things before you. I am thankful you are merciful, loving and forgiving. Please, don’t let what I do hinder those around me, for I know others are watching my life. Help me be a better example. I don’t want others to be discouraged in You.”



   

No comments:

Post a Comment